Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Bewailing One's Books' Destiny

Antoine Silvestre de Sacy, in: Charles Nodier, The Bibliomaniac, tr. Mabel Osgood Wright (New York: J. O. Wright & Co., 1894), preface, pp. 22-23:

O my beloved books, some day you will also be exhibited in an auction-room, when you will pass into other hands, owners perhaps less worthy of you than your present master. Yet these books that I have selected, one by one, are truly mine, collected by the sweat of my brow; and I love them so, that it seems to me they have become a part of my very soul by such a long and precious intercourse.

Lucien Prévost-Paradol, the French essayist, wrote of him: This Christian, whom some would like to call austere, if the word austerity could cover so much forbearance and perfect gentleness, became a sort of epicure in all that concerned his reading. [Ibid., p. 21]

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Certainty Of Being Alone

Hippolyte Taine, A Tour Through the Pyrenees , tr. J. Safford Fiske (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1875), 149-51: This valley is solitar...