Saturday, August 13, 2022

Living Your Truth

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, October 9, 1832:

I will not live out of me.
I will not see with others' eyes;
My good is good, my evil ill.
I would be free; I cannot be
While I take things as others please to rate them.
I dare attempt to lay out my own road.
That which myself delights in shall be Good,
That which I do not want, indifferent;
That which I hate is Bad. That's flat. 

Henceforth, please God, forever I forego
The yoke of men's opinions.
I will be Light-hearted as a bird and live with God.
I find him in the bottom of my heart, 

I hear continually his Voice therein,
And books, and priests, and worlds, I less esteem.
Who says the heart's a blind guide? It is not. . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Certainty Of Being Alone

Hippolyte Taine, A Tour Through the Pyrenees , tr. J. Safford Fiske (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1875), 149-51: This valley is solitar...