Saturday, August 6, 2022

Religion At Convenience

Charles Louis de Secondat, Montesquieu, Persian Letters, tr. John Davidson (London & New York, undated), Letter LXXV., p. 184:

. . . they are rebels who have felt the yoke, and have shaken it off before knowing what it is. Nor are they any securer in their incredulity than in their faith: their life is a constant ebb and flow between belief and unbelief. One of them said to me once, “I believe in the immortality of the soul for six months at a time; my opinions depend entirely upon my bodily condition: I am a Spinozist, a Socinian, a Catholic, un-godly or devout, according to the state of my animal spirits, the quality of my digestion, the rarity or heaviness of the air I breathe, the lightness or solidity of the food I eat. When the doctor is at my bedside, the confessor has me at a disadvantage. I know very well how to prevent religion from annoying me when I am in good health; but I allow myself to be consoled by it when I am ill: when I have nothing more to hope for here below, religion offers itself, and gains me by its promises; I am glad to give myself up to it, and to die with hope on my side.”

. . . ce sont des rebelles qui ont senti le joug, et l'ont secoué avant de l'avoir connu. Aussi ne sont-ils pas plus fermes dans leur incrédulité que dans leur foi; ils vivent dans un flux et reflux qui les porte sans cesse de l'un à l'autre. Un d'eux me disoit un jour: Je crois l'immortalité de l'âme par semestre; mes opinions dépendent absolument de la constitution de mon corps; selon que j'ai plus ou moins d'esprits animaux, que mon estomac digère bien ou mal, que l'air que je respire est subtil ou grossier, que les viandes dont je me nourris sont légères ou solides, je suis spinosiste, socinien, catholique, impie ou dévot. Quand le médecin est auprès de mon lit, le confesseur me trouve à son avantage. Je sais bien empêcher la religion de m'affliger quand je me porte bien; mais je lui permets de me consoler quand je suis malade: lorsque je n'ai plus rien à espérer d'un côté, la religion se présente et me gagne par ses promesses; je veux bien m'y livrer, et mourir du côté de l'espérance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Certainty Of Being Alone

Hippolyte Taine, A Tour Through the Pyrenees , tr. J. Safford Fiske (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1875), 149-51: This valley is solitar...