Saturday, November 12, 2022

In The Sunshine

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portugese, vi-vii: 

        Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand
        Henceforward in thy shadow. Nevermore
        Alone upon the threshold of my door
        Of individual life, I shall command
        The uses of my soul, nor lift my hand
        Serenely in the sunshine as before,
        Without the sense of that which I forbore—
        Thy touch upon the palm. The widest land
        Doom takes to part us, leaves thy heart in mine
        With pulses that beat double. What I do
        And what I dream include thee, as the wine
        Must taste of its own grapes. And when I sue
        God for myself, He hears that name of thine,
        And sees within my eyes the tears of two.

        The face of all the world is changed, I think,
        Since first I heard the footsteps of thy soul
        Move still, oh, still, beside me, as they stole
        Betwixt me and the dreadful outer brink
        Of obvious death, where I, who thought to sink,
        Was caught up into love, and taught the whole
        Of life in a new rhythm. The cup of dole
        God gave for baptism, I am fain to drink,
        And praise its sweetness, Sweet, with thee anear.
        The names of country, heaven, are changed away
        For where thou art or shalt be, there or here;
        And this ... this lute and song ... loved yesterday,
        (The singing angels know) are only dear
        Because thy name moves right in what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Certainty Of Being Alone

Hippolyte Taine, A Tour Through the Pyrenees , tr. J. Safford Fiske (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1875), 149-51: This valley is solitar...