Sunday, July 2, 2023

The Beloved's Parting

Johann von Goethe, Alexis and Dora, tr. Edgard Alferd Bowring:

            [...] Thou, too, art after me gazing in vain. Our hearts are still throbbing,

            Though, for each other, yet ah! 'gainst one another no more.
            Oh, thou single moment, wherein I found life! thou outweighest

            Every day which had else coldly from memory fled.
            'Twas in that moment alone, the last, that upon me descended

            Life, such as deities grant, though thou perceived'st it not.
            Phoebus, in vain with thy rays dost thou clothe the ether in glory:

            Thine all-brightening day hateful alone is to me.
            Into myself I retreat for shelter, and there, in the silence,

            Strive to recover the time when she appear'd with each day. [...]

            Vacant times of youth! and vacant dreams of the future!

            Ye all vanish, and nought, saving the moment, remains.
            Yes! it remains,—my joy still remains! I hold thee; my Dora,

            And thine image alone, Dora, by hope is disclos'd. [...]

            Visions of hope, deceive ye my heart! Ye kindly Immortals,

            Soften this fierce-raging flame, wildly pervading my breast!
            Yet how I long to feel them again, those rapturous torments.

            When, in their stead, care draws nigh, coldly and fearfully calm.
            Neither the Furies' torch, nor the hounds of hell with their harking

            Awe the delinquent so much, down in the plains of despair . . . 

            Now, ye Muses, enough! In vain would ye strive to depicture

            How, in a love-laden breast, anguish alternates with bliss.
            Ye cannot heal the wounds, it is true, that love hath inflicted;

            Yet from you only proceeds, kindly ones, comfort and balm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Certainty Of Being Alone

Hippolyte Taine, A Tour Through the Pyrenees , tr. J. Safford Fiske (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1875), 149-51: This valley is solitar...