Monday, October 5, 2026

Truth Bitter & Unpleasant

Dio Chrysostom, Discourses 11.1-2 (tr. J. W. Cohoon):

[1] I am almost certain that while all men are hard to teach, they are easy to deceive. They learn with difficulty—if they do learn anything—from the few that know, but they are deceived only too readily by the many who do not know, and not only by others but by themselves as well. For the truth is bitter and unpleasant to the unthinking, while falsehood is sweet and pleasant. [2] They are, I fancy, like men with sore eyes—they find the light painful, while the darkness, which permits them to see nothing, is restful and agreeable. Else how would falsehood often prove mightier than the truth, if it did not win its victories through pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Truth Bitter & Unpleasant

Dio Chrysostom, Discourses 11.1-2 (tr. J. W. Cohoon): [1] I am almost certain that while all men are hard to teach, they are easy to deceiv...